These sheets give you a range of suggestions to cover different aspects of supporting a pupil who stammers.The ideas come from a study to elicit the views of pupils who stammer, their parents, and school staff. However, every pupil will respond in their own way, and the level of support they need may vary across time.
Ideally they will be used as a basis for teaching staff and pupils who stammer to discuss specific solutions to particular problems. Involving a speech & language therapist in this discussion too is a very good idea.
Download the suggestion sheet here and learn more about the following topics.
1. Frequently Asked Questions (includes general information about stammering)
2. How to respond to a pupil who stammers
3. Supporting the pupil who stammers in class
4. Supporting the pupil who stammers in class: difficult situations
5. Dealing with teasing & bullying of children who stammer
7. Pupil planning sheet (to record what support your pupil wants)